Friday, September 23, 2016

Roofing

With the weather starting to turn more northwest than usual I was highly motivated to get the roof finished up.  I decided to go with Ondura corrugated roofing for a number of reasons.  I liked that it was light weight, being made of recycled paper product with asphalt.  Also I liked that cutting it seemed like an easier endeavor, no tin snips or crazy sharp finger severing edges.  I also thought maybe the metal might be louder during rain storms.  I also read the metal corrugated can rust when scratched.  I don't know how long my paper roof will last but its paintable to hopefully extend its protective life.  The clincher was seeing how great the roof over at Tiny House Giant Journey looks.  Mine didn't go on quite as nicely but I'm ok with it.  I was so eager to get the roofage started I dragged a rather heavy roll of tar paper up onto my reasonably steep roof to get started.  Some of you may already see the stupidity of what I just said.  "Why drag the entire roll up on to a pitched roof?  What exactly were you thinking was going to happen when you got to the top of the ladder?"  Well shut up.  I figured it out eventually.  After cutting a length of workable length of paper I went to work stapling down the sheets.

Shortly before my fall
I would have thought that with a name like tar paper there would have been a level of tack.  My advice for the day is don't try and roof by yourself, but also don't assume stapled tar paper is a sturdy surface for standing on.  I now know how much a leg brace costs.  I got lucky with only a small fracture and a few sprains of the ACL and LCL when I fell in a very undignified heap after my tar paper slipped out from under me.

Technically after my fall.  To add more stupidity I worked the rest of the day on my injury.

Progress has been somewhat limited since then but due to a remarkably touching outpouring of support from my friends the roof was completed and we are on our way to getting the siding started before the weather gets even worse.  Thank you to all those who are making progress possible.



No comments:

Post a Comment