Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Wall Framing

I've fallen a bit behind on updating here.  Wall framing is something I've been looking forward to.  It's the process that most traditionally reminds me of what building a house is.  The woodworking feels like a nice entry level experience and all the corners so far are right angles.

Over the last two weekends I learned pretty quickly that I don't really know how to read framing plans.  I also finally realized that got what I paid for with my plans.  When you only spend $99 you aren't necessarily going to get plans that walk you through each step or include everything you need.  At this point my plans have become more of a suggested guideline than anything else.  Most notably my plans don't detail how to frame around the wheel well.  I'm assuming this is because no two trailers are the same and they figure the builder can adapt.  I did, but it took a while.  The walls are only braced in place with a few screws just so I could see what I was working with, make sure everything looked roughly level and to make room to build the next section.

I added some beefer headers above my windows, which I haven't fully framed yet, to accommodate the book shelving I plan on putting above the windows.  My plans didn't have any headers whatsoever.  I'm still a little unclear if I did the wall corners properly.  My favorite lesson so far has been there may not be a properly.  House on wheels means no code compliance or inspections so as long as it doesn't fall down and kill me I'm content.  Living dangerous is something new I'm trying.

I didn't complete my window and door framing on purpose because I thought it might be easier to frame around the windows and doors that I find and might be overstocks, factory seconds, or returns, instead of framing based on my plans and then have to find something to fit the space, maybe even have it custom made.

I am glad I decided to construct my framing with screws instead of nails as it means I can take apart and adjust as needed, and it has been needed.  Next step will be prebuilding roof stuff.  Maybe the next step should be figuring out what the roof stuff is called.


No comments:

Post a Comment