Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Subfloor Plywood Installation

This weekend I tackled the plywood part of the subfloor.  The first hitch being that the hardware store didn't have any 3/4 inch tongue and groove plywood available.  I know this is always an option and one that frustrates people such as me who wants to do it now.  I ended up going with the cheaper and lesser quality OSB plywood instead.  I've heard the OSB doesn't do well when it gets wet but since I'm currently building under cover I figured I could get away with it.

Next tricky part is 4'8' pieces of wood are heavy and awkward to move.  I needed a little help moving them around but luckily Brother in Law was available and willing.  My visual sense made it challenging for me to orient the boards in such a way that I would know where to cut them.  There was a couple times I almost made the wheel well cutout on the wrong end of the board.  Luckily I didn't make any irreversible cuts.  I laid them in place staggering them so none of the seams matched up thus compromising the strength of the floor, or something, before gluing and screwing them in place just so I could be sure they would all fit proper.  There was a bit of confusion when I realized the 4'8' OSB laid side by side naturally measure 8 foot wide, however my trailer is 8'4'' wide.  I decided to shorten the first piece so that by the time I reached the other side of the trailer instead of having a tiny 4 inch strip I ended up with 10 inch strip.  Seemed like a workable compromise.  We shall see.

I bought some subfloor adhesive which is suppose to be less rigid so the floors can wiggle a bit without squeaking.  The package said I had about ten minutes of good gluing time before the substance starts to lose it's glueness.  The race was on the put up the super heavy boards, not move them too far out of place so I didn't put them back in the wrong order, glue the top of the joists, drag the heavy boards back into place without disturbing the glue, and let them fall into place and land right on the joist so as to not smear the glue.  Well that didn't work all that well but I got them where they needed to be.  Pleased with myself at finishing that step I laid down on my new floor to celebrate a job well done.  I started thinking about the next step of screwing the plywood down.  I had the screws on standby and the impact driver all charged up.  I was ready to rock and roll.  Then I realized I no longer could see the joists that I needed to screw the plywood into.  I then recalled a helpful hint I had read that said snap a chalk line after you lay each piece so you can transfer those joist lines to the top of the plywood.  Damn my over exaggerated sense of enthusiasm and lack on knowledge.  I didn't want to pull the still drying boards up for fear of losing my glue seal so I prayed that my 16 on center joists were still predictably where I needed them to be.  A little experiment allowed me to feel the difference between hitting that joist and not.  I can't say those connections are crazy solid but I'm ok with what I ended up with.

Now all screwed and glued I'm ready for the wall framing.  I even had a little bit of time to lay out a mock-up of what the first wall might look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment