Tuesday, February 23, 2016

More Subfloor framing





This weekend I cut the 2x4x8 to length for my side joists?...maybe rim joists?...the long boards along the sides of the trailer and then secured them to the trailer with these bad boys:
 they are 5 inch galvanized carriage bolts.  The end result looks like this:

Then I screwed in the Simpson Strongtie joist hangers at 16 OC, which I learned means On Center.  I did the 16 OC not because that is building code, although it might be, but because the Roxul Insulation I got comes in 16 inch wide batts and I'm lazy and didn't want to cut them.  I'm not proud to admit it took me longer than it should have to figure out how to measure from the middle of one 2x6 to the middle of the next 2x6.

I didn't get to finish the joists because I ran out of hangers but also because one of the carriage bolts is in the way.  I may have to put one of the joists slight more or less than 16 and then just try to remember the irregularity for later.




2 comments:

  1. OK, so the part of the trailer you secured the side joist to...that's what I was talking about. From all the pictures/vids I've seen in the past, I thought the trailers people used were flat. If you look at the first picture you took of the trailer (in the garage from the front) there's a bit of an optical illusion and so I thought yours was flat/even as well. But then, later pictures with the sil seal (or whatever) look like there's a box around it. So, apparently the trailer bed/center is slightly lowered so that you can get your subfloor framing in(?) and you didn't start by building a frame around the outside of the trailer, which is what I was trying to figure out.


    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, yes, I can see that. The trailer bed is lowered so as to allow a bit more headroom later on. It's one of the nice features of the Iron Eagle trailer.

    ReplyDelete