Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Build Site and Subfloor Beginning

Picked up the trailer from Iron Eagle.  Thanks Rob!  I opted for some trailer additions: 22 gauge steel floor pan and some extra fender flashing to help prevent moisture invasion.  Luckily my sister volunteered to let me start my build in her huge garage.  It rained all weekend and the covered build site is fantastic.  Here is the birthplace of Misanthrope Manor:



 then I frosted the whole thing with this stuff:

I used it to prevent thermal bridging.  The trailer is metal and cold and I didn't wan't that temperature leeching into the house.  Also I'm hoping it will be an added moisture barrier between the cold metal and warmer wood.  Here is the end result:

I also bought some 2x6s for the subfloor framing, roxul insulation, a vapor barrier, screws, extra bits, and some simpson strong ties to attach the short floor joists to the longer floor joists, maybe, I'm still working on the vocabulary.  The first small step felt huge.  Next weekend: floor framing.

3 comments:

  1. Not to sound dumb, but what is thermal bridging?

    The pictures look awesome, though. It's like really happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I understand it thermal bridging is the principle of temperature movement between objects, like spouse's cold feet in bed and your nicely warmed up feet, soon you are both cold. Also moisture can occur when cold and warm meet so some barrier between them, like the sil seal hopefully will prevent moisture from getting into my subfloor and causing mold and/or alien invasion. Did that sound like I know what I'm talking about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it did. You're doing a lot better with the construction vocabulary than I am, I find it a bit like trying to read Cyrillic. My mind swims. Not sure what good it will do against alien invasion though. If they go with spores they're likely airborne so unless your build is hermetically sealed...but I don't want to give you nightmares.

      Delete